The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) is a dynamic generalist legal practice with the overarching aim to advance and protect the legal interests of IDLO, while mitigating risk, fostering accountability, and helping to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Organization and its governing bodies. OGC is responsible for providing legal advice to the Director-General of IDLO, the Senior Leadership Team, the IDLO Governance bodies, and IDLO employees at its Rome headquarters as well as its branch and field offices. OGC provides advice on matters including the negotiation and conclusion of headquarters agreements, privileges and immunities, contracts, grants, and other agreements. OGC oversees local counsel in more than a dozen field locations and provides guidance on HR matters and disputes, including the negotiation, settlement, arbitration, and litigation of disputes. OGC also drafts, reviews, implements, and promotes adherence to IDLO policies, regulations, rules, and practices as well as the revision, implementation of and adherence to IDLO’s governance documents.
OGC hosts one legal intern during the fall, spring, and summer, however for 2018, spring and summer vacancies have been currently filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until no later than June 1 for the fall internship.
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until no later than June 1 for the fall internship
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until no later than November 1 for the spring
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until no later than March 1 for the summer
Interns must hold either a degree in law or be currently enrolled in law school. Interns receive a monthly stipend of €600. Internships are offered for 3 months and are potentially renewable at IDLO’s discretion up to a maximum of 6 months. Full-time placements (5 days a week) are strongly preferred. Applicants available for less than 3 days a week will not be considered.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Graduate or undergraduate level degree in law or current enrollment in graduate level legal
- Experience working in a legal capacity in an organization or law firm is highly desirable.
- Experience working in an international environment is highly desirable.
- Experience with and/or understanding of international law, contract law, and/or international organizations is desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required. Any additional language proficiency, particularly in French or Spanish, would be an advantage.
- Good team player, highly motivated, strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, flexible
mind, comfortable working in multi-cultural settings;
- Demonstrated ability to work proactively and independently, including as part of a small team; and
- Ability to produce well drafted and analysed work product in a timely manner, exercise sound judgment, and manage and prioritize multiple assignments
HOW TO APPLY
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply via their website http://www.idlo.org/ENGLISH/EMPLOYMENT/APPLY/Pages/Interns.aspx and submit a resume, cover letter, and list of references. In the cover letter, applicants should clearly indicate the time period(s) for which they are applying. Applicants may also, optionally, provide academic transcripts or letters of recommendation.
For More Information: